Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Fried Rice, Beef & Veggies

Tonight's Dinner: Fried Rice and Beef with random veggies

I used cabbage and carrots because that's what I had in the fridge AND they needed to be used! But this can be made with any veggies, really - fresh, canned, frozen - just pick two. I've made it with any protein too - chicken, pork, beef & shrimp - just cook to recommend temp before eating.



I made the rice beforehand - possibly about 3 cups cooked.

In the wok, I added the salt and peppered steak (about 3 the size of my palm), seared till med-rare. Then I took them out to rest before I sliced a 1/4" thick at a 45° angle.

I used olive oil or frying, (maybe about a tablespoon - I never measure, just add a bit - you can always add more - you can probably take some out, but you would need to be willing to part with some paper towels).

Fry one item at medium-high heat (stir it with the oil once really well, then let it sit to fry for 2 or 3 minutes before stirring to get a little toasted - repeat stirring/frying until the veggies reach desired tenderness), mix with what's already on the sides & push it all to the sides again before adding the next: diced onion, shredded cabbage, carrots, minced garlic. I usually add veggies in order of density, softer veggies save for last. I had some celery powder and I felt like adding a bit of that too! Why not?!?

With veggies pushed to the side, add about 4 scrambled eggs seasoned with pepper. Let the bottom layer fry a bit before scrambling up the side of the wok (don't mix with the veggies just yet). Continue to cook and stir till eggs are cooked through. Then mix with the rest of the veggies.

If you desire a little spice, add dried chili flakes (the kind you've been saving from the pizza deliveries).

Then add the cooked white rice with a bit of sesame oil and a little more olive oil to fry & mix. Then add as much soy sauce until it looks like fried rice. Pour some here, pour some there - Really, I don't measure. Then add your meat to the mix to warm back up, stirring occasionally.

Serve with toasted sesame seeds. If I had some green onions, I would have added them too! I use soy sauce as my "salt" in this, but feel free to salt it a bit.

The only sad part: we had some avocados to put on top, but it smelled and tasted so yummy, we forgot all about them!!

I'm not an expert by any means, but I love to cook.

The sweet n spicy sauce I added at the end was a leftover byproduct of canning the sweet peppers last week. That was a happy accident!

No comments:

Post a Comment