Saturday, October 29, 2011

Squirt Butt Chicken

Many years ago on a camping trip, my Sister was in charge of dinner one night.  She brough her marinated beer butt chickens to cook on the open campfire.  Boy, was it GOOD! She even gave me one of the stands for me to make my own whenever I wanted to! (LOVE MY SIS!) But, alas I had to buy another stand because there was just no sense in cooking one when you can do two and have leftovers!  I'm not a fan of beer, I don't seen any sense in buying a 6pk of beer when I would only use 2 of the cans.  So I bought a 12pk of Squirt.  That way I can drink the rest at my leisure.  Of course, the first time I tried it, I asked my partner to bring home 2 chickens on her way home from work. Sure enough she brought me 2 turkeys, which worked out great figuring since I don't really like turkey.

2 - 5 to 8 lb chickens or turkeys
2 - cans of squirt (any soda would work since the liquid never touches the chicken)
olive oil or butter
3 tbls Garlic & Herb Grill Seasoning
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
1.5 tbls Pollio Seasoning
2 tbls Whole Black Pepercorns
Cooking Spray
Large Turkey Roaster Pan
2 Beer Butt Chicken Stands

Thaw out the chicken according to the package directions.  Discard the neck and gizzards.  I ran the chickens under water to clean the off.  Pat dry with a paper towel. Line the turkey pan with foil for easier cleanup.  Mix in a small bowl the garlic & herb seasoning, pollio seasoning, salt & pepper.  Spray the stands with cooking spray. Open 2 cans of soda and drink about half of each & place cans in stands.  Place about a tablespoon of whole black peppercorns in each can & set cans inside of turkey roaster pan.  Pour a little olive oil on the inside the chickens & rub all around, even under the skin in places you can get to.  Grab some seasoning mix and rub all on the inside of the chickens.  Place the chickens on the stands through the chickens' rear end. Pour a little olive oil on the outside of the chickens. Use the rest of the seasoning mix & rub all over the outside of the chickens.  You can never have too much seasoning on these birds. Arange the legs & arms to make it look like they are sitting.  Fold over the neck skin so that it covers the neck hole & secure with a toothpick.  Marinate for an hour or two.

With help, place into a preheated 375 degree oven and cook until the meat temperature reads 180 degrees which is about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. When fnished cooking, let sit for about 10 minutes so the juices can settle. 

You can also substitue any of the seasonings with what you are used to using for your chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment