Sunday, July 15, 2012

Best Ever Chicken & Zucchini Soup

I had been sick with pneumonia over the last month, I was taking forever to get better. I was even having trouble keeping food down, It had been five days & the only thing I could keep down was a can of Squirt (I later found out that the antibiotic medicine I was taking was the root of the problem). My mom had decided to come pick me up & take me to her house to get better.  She had purchased a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.  With the abundance she had left over, she made some soup with it, using all fresh ingredients from her garden, well, minus the chicken broth... Really, anything can be added to the soup with no real measured amounts & it will still taste fantastic! I made it again when I got home, & as my partner told me, it made "A party in her mouth!"

2-3 c or about 1 lb cubed & cooked chicken
2 cans of chicken broth
Squash - diced
Carrots - cut small
Green Chili - diced
1 can of Garlic & Herb Diced Tomatoes
4 tbls minced garlic
1 c sliced onions (I don't really dice my onions, since I like to see & eat the long pieces)
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp McCormick Vegetable seasoning

Sauté garlic & onions in olive oil in a large deep pan, until onions are slightly soft. Add all other ingredients. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2 hours or until carrots are soft.
Eat!
I served the soup with garlic bread. I didn't have a whole chicken left over, so I browned some cubed chicken breast in olive oil in a skillet before I added it to my soup.  I figured the chicken would fall apart if I didn't brown it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment