Friday, October 28, 2011

Super Moist Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Icing

I found a recipe online for pumpkin cake but I always make changes to suit me.  :)  The original called for 2 cups of pumpkin but I didn’t want to have leftover pumpkin so I just put it all in and decreased the amount of oil.  I also added in the nutmeg.  I made some changes to the icing too. :)

Prep time: 15 min. Oven cook time: 30 min.
Preheat Oven @ 350°

2 c. flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 c. sugar
¾ c. vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
29oz canned pumpkin
4 eggs
1 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions
1)   Grease a 9x13in and 8x9in pan.  In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Set aside.  I made two so that I would have one to freeze for later. :)
2)   In a large bowl, combine sugar and oil.  Blend in vanilla and pumpkin, and then beat in eggs for 2 minutes with electric mixer.  Gradually beat in flour mixture.  Stir in nuts.  Spread batter into pans. 
3)   Bake in oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out ALMOST clean. I don’t bake a cake to where to toothpick comes out clean.  I take the cake out of the oven right before and in the cooling process, the cake finishes itself and the cake is moist.  Cool before icing.  Refrigerate leftovers.

Cream Cheese Icing

 ¾ c. margarine or butter
16oz Philadelphia cream cheese (2 boxes)
4 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
1)   Beat softened butter and cream cheese until well blended.
2)   Add powdered sugar and vanilla.  Beat until creamy.

Leftover icing freezes very well, not lumpy/grainy like I thought it would be.  I tried once with Philadelphia name brand cream cheese and once with off-brand cream cheese and I found that I liked the Philly better.  The off brand made out to be gummier… egh.

No comments:

Post a Comment