Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Aunt Thelma's Feather Bread

I've really been into home cooked meals, and more recently, family recipes from scratch. While visiting my Aunt over the 2012 Thanksgiving holiday, I had the opportunity to snatch a copy of her dinner roll recipe. I've made this recipe four times since. While the 3 x 5 hand written index card shows many years of use, it is still as awesome as the name.

Ingredients:
2 c. scalded milk
¼ c. shortening
¼ c. sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tbls yeast
½ c. warm water
2 eggs
5-6 c. flour

Directions:
Scald milk. Add to shortening, sugar and salt. Let cool. Soften yeast in water. (I use water that is between 115°F to 120°F). Once yeast is foamy, add to milk mix. Add beaten eggs. Add flour 1 cup at a time until a soft and only slightly sticky dough forms. (I kneaded the dough for five minutes in my KitchenAid mixer and the time I mixed by hand I only kneaded it until dough was completely mixed; no clumps of dry flour.) Let rise in large bowl until doubled in size. Roll into balls. Will fill two 13" x 9" glass pans. Let rise again. Bake at 350°F until tops are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Butter tops is necessary.



No comments:

Post a Comment