Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Paco's Meatloaf

The last time I made meatloaf, it came out really tuff and I was wondering what I had done wrong. My friend told me that I had mixed it too long. Well, that's how I learned... mix the meat and crumbs using my hands as I squeezed it. I looked at some other recipes online and they stated that you should be sure not to squeeze it. So, for this recipe, I thought of my KitchenAid mixer. It worked wonderfully!



1-5oz bag of crushed seasoned croutons~Rothbury Farms
1 tsp salt
½ tsp garlic salt
½ c green onions
1 c diced mushrooms
1 c sour cream
1 egg
2 lbs lean ground beef
About 1 tbls Worcestershire sauce

Glaze
About ½ to ¾ c ketchup
Equal amount of granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350° F. Smash croutons using a rolling pin. Add croutons, onions, salt, garlic salt, diced mushrooms to stand mixer bowl. Mix using the paddle attachment. Add sour cream & egg. Break up beef into about 1 inch chunks and place onto top of sour cream and egg. Set stand mixer to slowest setting, add Worcestershire sauce around the bowl and mix until evenly mixed; about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stop mixer, flip over meat mixture. If there is still a large concentration of any one ingredient, mix again for anther 30 seconds.



Spread out into a greased 9½" x 7½" x 3" glass casserole dish or a dish you prefer. Bake for 45* minutes. While it is baking, mix the ketchup and sugar and set aside.

Once the loaf has baked for 45* minutes or until internal temp is about 140°F, pour ketchup onto the top of meatloaf and spread it out evenly. Replace pan into oven and bake for an additional 10* minutes or until internal temp is 155°F. For the final caramelising of the glaze, broil the pan for 2 to 3 minutes or until you see a ton of tiny bubbles in the glaze. Let rest for 10 minutes once you remove it from the oven.

*Remember, if you use a larger pan, cooking time would be less or if you use a smaller pan, cooking time is longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment