Sunday, July 15, 2012

Patty Pan Squash Pleasure

I found a new love! Patty Pan Squash! Now I've only had the pleasure of trying the white ones with a hint of green, but they are still awesome!
The squash itself is sweeter than a zucchini & fewer seeds, but any recipe I have used with Zucchini has been interchangeable with Patty Pans. Cutting up the squash alone is even fun to do. 
With the plants my mom is growing, I've noticed a difference between the squash from two different plants. One is whiter with stripes of light green, bumpier too with more ball like edges and the other is more of a solid white with green tint, and smoother with flat ball like edges. The smoother ones tended to have a tougher outside. Not sure how that happened since the seeds came from the same packet.

With all this squash I have been prepping, I'm beginning to think I also have a secrete love for garlic & onions...... :o)

Ingredients
1 sliced patty pan squash - 4-5 inches in diameter
1-2 tomatoes diced
1/2 c mild green chili
1/2 c onions
2 tbl minced garlic
pinch of pepper
pinch of salt
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Salt-Free Extra Spicy seasoning
1/2 tsp olive oil
Mozzarella cheese to put on top (optional)

In a medium sauce pan or skillet, sauté garlic & onions in olive oil. Add squash sliced 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cook 5-10 minutes until squash is tender, may need to cover to speed up the cook. Add seasons & tomatoes and green chili & cook an addition minute or two until the tomatoes and chili are warm.
Serve with mozzarella cheese.





No comments:

Post a Comment